Terms and conditions
The title for the Discover Brightwater Journalism Competition is Restore, Reveal, and Celebrate life around the river Skerne. The theme is open to your personal interpretation but we’re looking for features which link people to the landscape and its heritage. It’s really up to you how you interpret it.
- Entries should be sent to email@example.com and marked Discover Brightwater Journalism Competition in the subject field.
- There are 2 prizes of £500 for fully qualified and experienced Journalists along with 2 prizes of £500 for amateur, student, trainees or recently qualified journalists (within 2 years of qualifying).
- We are open to journalists, blog and vlog writers, and content creators, in any media including radio, TV, podcasts, YouTube etc.
- There is a word limit of 1,500 words. Preferably with photos attached.
- If you are under 18 years old on the 1st July 2022 please specify this in your entry email.
- Features should be based on stories within the Discover Brightwater area covering the towns, villages and countryside around the river Skerne – see the map on our website.
- The competition is open to UK residents only (including residents of the Channel Islands and Isle of Man). Entrants under the age of 18 need the verifiable permission of a parent or guardian to enter
- Entrants must display the author’s name and contact details on a separate cover page.
- Judging will be fair and unbiased. None of the judges will see the cover page of any entry (which must contain the name and contact details of the author), as it will be removed by the first reader.
- Entrants under the age of 18 will need to provide their parents’ names, phone numbers and email address in the email. All contact from production will be made through the parent/guardian.
- The competition closes at 23:59 on Thursday 30th June 2022. Entries received after this date will not be considered.
- The judging criteria will be based on:
- Clear crafted stories and messages
- Individual style and tone
- Unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted and no feedback on any entry will be provided.
- If after reasonable attempts a shortlisted entrant cannot be contacted, Discover Brightwater reserves the right to offer the place on the shortlist to the next best entry
- The Promoters are not under any obligation to publish any entries.
- Entrants will retain copyright in the features that they submit. By entering the competition all entrants grant Groundwork North East in Cumbria as part of the Discover Brightwater Landscape Partnership the right to publish and exhibit their work on the Discover Brightwater website in perpetuity and published in the Discover Brightwater Anthology book.
- Winning entrants agree to participate in reasonable publicity relating to the competition, including but not limited to having their full names published. By entering, any subsequent prize winners agree to allow the free use of their full names, photographs and general locations for publicity and news purposes during this and future promotions by the Promoters or any of the Promoters’ associated or subsidiary companies.
- Entrants must not do anything illegal and/or dangerous and/or that would put themselves or others at any risk. Save where they have been negligent, the Promoters will not be responsible for any damage, loss or injury resulting from any entrant’s participation in the Competition or any entrant’s acceptance and/or use of any prizes, or for technical, hardware or software failures, lost, faulty or unavailable network connections or difficulties of any kind that may limit or prohibit an entrant’s ability to participate in the Competition. The Promoters will not be responsible for any lost, damaged, delayed, defaced, incomplete, illegible or otherwise unreadable entries. Proof of making a phone call, sending an entry by post, email or text, is not proof of receipt by the Promoters of any entries. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall in any way limit the Promoters’ liability for death or personal injury caused by their negligence or for any other matter where liability may not be limited as a matter of law.
- By entering, entrants will be deemed to have agreed to be bound by these rules and Groundwork North East and Cumbria reserve the right to exclude any entry from the competition at any time and in its absolute discretion if Groundwork North East and Cumbria have reason to believe that an entrant has breached these rules, acted fraudulently in any way or brings the GWNE&C into disrepute.so r
Groundwork NE&C reserves the right to cancel this competition or alter any of the rules at any stage if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside of its control.